Mr. Coleman's Websites

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

What? And Why...

My second year of teaching, walking my 4th grade class to recess.  As we passed the production room, one of my students mumbled to himself, "Mmmmm, smells like burning army men...."  I took a deep breath and found the distinct odor of melting plastic; the smell of the laminating machine being used by the school aide.  It provided a telling window into the student's imagination, boundless associative ability, and adventures generally unknown to many adults (i.e melting action figures, something I too had done as a child).  I respect the child world, cultivate it, and have seen hundreds of children tap into it for an enriched, unique, and productive life experience.  This blog is to support those students, but especially their parents, who provide intensive socialization, creative playtime, and intellectual stimulation.